Wildlife photography is a unique sector of photography that requires sheer talent, courage, and patience. Over all the years, wildlife photographers have turned impossible things into reality. They have ventured deeper into the jungles, gone up close to the animals, to capture the perfect still. An essential aspect of wildlife photography is your camera. Previously, while choosing cameras for wildlife photography for the job, you had a limited range of options. They primarily included a tiny group of professional-level cameras for wildlife photography that had good speed and telephoto lens capture facilities. They helped in capturing close-up stills of fast-moving objects.
However, along with the skill and daring of the photographers, their cameras have evolved too. Nowadays, there is a broader range of models available with a long list of advantages, including mirrorless systems. All of these advantages give the cameras a cutting edge over the DSLRs. All of the mirrorless cameras offer a superb continuous shooting speed with their electronic shutters. Also, electric shutters are more effective over mechanical shutters as it doesn’t make any sound while operating. Maintaining a low volume and staying silent is one of the fundamental rules of wildlife photography. Some of the other features found in wildlife photography cameras are- super tele range, affordable zooming capacity, and teleconverters that help you reach a very high focal length.
Depending upon your style and budget constraint, there are some terrific cameras to choose from, both mirrorless and DSLR. Below, we enlist some of their names:-
CANON EOS R3
This is the latest model to appear in Cannon’s EOS R full-frame lineup in 2021. Though there have been no hints on the release dates, reports confirm that this would be one of the best versions of Canon’s cameras. Many say that Canon aims to position this camera between its PRO DSLR EOS 1-D and its topmost mirrorless cameras Canon EOS RO5.
- The camera would have a fantastic shooting speed of 30 fps.
- It would be loaded with an eye-activated autofocus feature. The system would be highly advanced and allow the user to enable subject tracking by looking in the electronic viewfinder.
The camera is allegedly said to include two new super-telephoto primes from the EOS r system. There would be no need for a mounter to use Canon’s DSLR equivalent lenses. Hence, loaded with new features, this would be the perfect camera for a photographer.
CANON EOS R5
Taking up the 2nd position is Canon’s current champion in mirrorless cameras- the EOS r5. It is an excellent option for all wildlife photographers with its fast continuous shooting rates and trustworthy resolution. It has both a mechanical and an electronic shutter to capture up to 12 fps.
- This is the first camera that comes loaded with Cannon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF II. It covers the entire frame with a considerable number of selected AF zones.
- It also has a built-in subject tracking feature to track the subject through long and deep bushes.
All of the features loaded in this camera are the perfect bonus for any aspiring wildlife photographer.
CANON EOS-1D X Mark III
One of the best choices amongst Canon DSLRs, the Mark-III model comes wholly loaded with excellent features and updates. It is the fastest DSLR available in the field, considering its speed and lens parameters.
- It has a 16 fps capture with an optical viewfinder that can range itself up to 20 fps.
- It has arguably the best super-tele primes and teleconverters.
- The AF system of the camera is relatively new and innovative with face tracking and head detection capabilities.
- It also allows an eye detection facility for shooting in live view.
Although this model is trendy for its positive reviews, it has a steep price that might not be affordable for new or casual photographers.
CANON EOS 90D
Another classic Cannon version, supported with high-quality APS-c, is the EOS 90D. This model appeared in the market in 2019. It is a worthy successor to the EOS 80D and comes packed with more powerful features. Some may compare its features to the EOS MARK II version- another successful member of the Mark family.
- It has a capture speed of 10 fps. This is an improvement from its predecessor, with a capture speed of 3 fps.
- It is supported by a 32.5 megapixel, 90 D camera technology.
- It has a powerful telephoto lens, offering you a more excellent catch overall photographers.
The model is often voted to be one of the best APS-supported, mirrorless models to be ever produced by Canon.
Setting into the Fujifilm network, one of our best picks would be its X-t4 model. This model was introduced in 2020, with incredible and effective features pillaring it. It is a worthy opponent to all its contemporaries out in the market.
- It has both mechanical and electronic shutter facilities. And captures 15 fps with its mechanical shutter and 20 fps with its electronic shutter.
- It has a complete resolution of 26.1 megapixels.
- The camera is supported by a robust AF system that helps it to function, even in low light conditions.
- It also allows an in-body stabilization of the system to enable up to 6.5 stops of correction.
It passes its predecessor, X-T3, with all its features and facilities.
Another notable model from the Fujifilm brand is its X-t30 version. It is a newly launched model, supported with strong updates and features all over. It is a high-resolution camera with faster continuous shooting facilities available.
- It is known for its lightweight and compact structure; this makes it easy to use and carry.
- It captures up to 8 fps with its mechanical shutters and 20 fps with its electronic shutter.
- The lenses of X-T30 are built strongly with a total in-body stabilization technique.
- A strong AF system allows low light photography up to dim conditions like -3.0 EV
NIKON Z 9
One of the most eagerly awaited models of the Nikon Z-9, mirrorless version. It is yet to be released in 2021, but it’s a camera worth the wait. Nikon has placed its bets on this model and speculated it to be its most advanced FX model in the Z series. It has a brand new image processor, 8k video recorder, and powerful image processor.
Nikon has hidden most of the features of this model, yet reliable sources reveal that it would certainly provide the best still and video performance amongst all the other models. Hence, we can obviously expect a high-resolution sensor and faster continuous shooting g speed facility.
Also, the model would have an integrated vertical battery grip from patent images.
The current flagship model in Nikon DSLR’S is the D6. It was released in 2020, and it’s rated amongst the most capable cameras for wildlife photography. It allows you a silent shooting mode at 10.5 fps.
- It has a mechanical shutter that allows a continuous shooting rate of 14 fps.
- Also has a strong sensor that doesn’t alter the resolution, even at 20.8 megapixels.
- Has a new Af system with individually selectable points and cross-type.
- It has a superb ISO range, that expands up to 3,280,00
- It allows excellent low-light photography.
For an old-school and successful wildlife photographer, autofocus is the key. Landscape photographers have the relaxation to spend time and play around d with camera settings. On the other hand, wildlife photography is always about capturing the perfect moment.
Hence, you must check the AF systems of the cameras before you reach out to purchase. All of the above-stated cameras, provide fabulous auto-focus facilities.