Blurry faces in your pictures come from different things, such as lousy camera focus or motion blur (subject moved during the shot), so we need to eliminate blur. With photo editors online apps, such as Google’s Picasa or the open-source GIMP, Corel’s Paint Shop Pro, or Adobe’s Photoshop, you can sharpen a blurred picture and restore your image.
- Apply a sharpening filter.
To eliminate blur, you can use any online photo editor that includes a sharpening tool to increase the contrast between the pixels in the photo. This tool will remove some of the blurriness. It also may introduce graininess if your image is over-sharpened.
- Use an unsharp mask
If your app supports it, use the unsharp mask to control the sharpening process to eliminate blur. The apps featuring an unsharp mask give you control over the specific zones you want to sharpen them.
- Resize your photo
Choose the sharpen edge tool if the image becomes too grainy. The tool will sharpen only the edges of your photos. These are the edges between the face and the background and the lines of facial features. The method will not introduce graininess artifacts in other zones of your picture. Sometimes you can see the blur when you look at the image full size. To eliminate blur, you can hide the blurriness resizing the photo to a smaller format. You need to make a few tests before establishing the best dimension for your image to hide the blurriness.
Some online photo editors include plug-ins to take care of your blurry photos. Search plug-ins such as Pixel Genius, Focus Magic, or Photokit Sharpener.
If your picture has a blur in excess, it is almost impossible to fix it. To reduce the photo blur, use a fast shooter speed and focus on the subject’s face.
Eliminate the blur with Photoshop
The software provides an intelligent mechanism to reduce photo blurring caused by camera motion. You can adjust advanced settings to sharpen the photo. Use the Shake Reduction Filter in Filter ->Sharpen menu. You will reduce blurring that results from linear motion, arc-shaped motion, angular motion, and arc-shaped motion.
The camera shake reduction function works with decently lit camera images having low noise. Here is the type of pictures suitable for shake reduction:
- Outdoor and indoor photos captured using a lens with a long focal
- Indoor images taken with no flash and a slow shutter speed
Shake reduction help sharpen blurred text in images affected by the notion of a camera.
How to use the camera shake reduction
- Open the picture
- Select Filter -> Sharpen -> Shake Reduction. Photoshop analyzes the zone of the picture best suited for reduction. It determines the blurred nature, extrapolates the appropriate corrections to the entire image. The corrected image is visible in the Shake Reduction dialog.
You can examine the region corrected in focus with the detail loupe in the lower-right panel. If there is no correction in the Shake Reduction dialog, check the Preview option to be enabled.
How to use blur traces for camera shake reduction
A blur trace is the shape and extent of the blur that affect a zone of the picture. Different zones of the image can have differently shaped blurs.
The automatic camera considers the trace of the blur only for the default zone of the picture that Photoshop has established as most suitable for blur estimation. To fine-tune the image, photoshop can compute and consider blur traces for many zones, everywhere it is necessary. In the Advanced panel, you will find the Shake reduction dialog. It is possible to click a blur trace to zoom it.
Photoshop propose a new region for blur estimation
- Click on Add Suggested Blur Trace icon in the Advanced panel in the right-panel. The app highlights a part of the image suitable for blur estimation, and forms create the blur trace.
- Add new blur traces if necessary.
Select a new image zone manually
- Click the Blur Estimation Tool icon of the Shake Reduction dialog
- Draw a rectangle anywhere on the image. Photoshop creates a blur trace for this region
- Add more blur traces if it is mandatory
Create a blur trace with the blur direction
- Select the Blur Direction from the left panel
- Draw a line representing the blur direction on the image
- Correct the Blur Trace Length and Blur Trace Direction Use detail loupe to modify a blur trace
- Use the Detail loupe and focus on a new image region suitable for the camera shake reduction
- Click the Enhance at Detail Loupe Location icon to move focus in the left-pane to the zone highlighted in the Detail Loupe
Apply multiple blur traces
After adding the blur traces, you can select one or more blur traces in the Advanced panel to apply them to the picture.
Compare the results of two blur traces. With Ctrl Key, pressed, select the blur traces in the Advanced panel. The app displays the multiple preview pane for the selected blur traces.
Apply multiple blur traces
After adding the blur traces, you can select one or more blur traces in the Advanced panel to apply them to the picture. Compare the results of two blur traces. With Ctrl Key, pressed, select the blur traces in the Advanced panel. The app displays the multiple preview pane for the selected blur traces.
Reuse blur traces
- Select blur trace
- Select Save Blur Trace in the Advanced panel flyout menu. You can save them in two formats: PNG and KNL.
Advanced blur trace settings
Photoshop estimates the amount of noise in the image. Select a different value is the necessary (auto / low / medium / high). Smoothing Smoothing reduces high-frequency sharpening noise. It is possible to move the slider to a value different from the implicit 30%. Specialists recommend a low smoothing setting.
Smoothing reduces high-frequency sharpening noise. It is possible to move the slider to a value different from the implicit 30%. Specialists recommend a low smoothing setting.
You can see some noticeable noise artifacts during the sharpening. To suppress the artifacts, follow these steps.
- Select Artifact Suppression
- If the Artifact suppression isn’t on, Photoshop creates coarse previews. These previews are sharper but have more noise artifacts.
- Adjust Artifact Suppression slider to a high value. 100% artifact suppression yields the original picture. 0% of artifact suppression does not suppress noise artifacts.
- Artifact suppression works best to eliminate medium-frequency noise.